top of page
This image depicts a drone shot of New York City taken from the air.


Talk to a Licensed Professional Engineer today: 646.481.1861

  • Writer's pictureBuilt Engineers

NYC DOB Department of Building Info for Property Owners in New York City

Updated: Mar 6, 2023

As a property owner you are responsible for knowing and understanding the requirements and other local regulations that must be incorporated into your construction project or into maintaining your property. The New York City Department of Buildings (DOB) is here to help you with any issues you may have whether you are an owner of a one-family home or the owner of a 50,000 sq ft building.

Things You Need to Know

Your success in executing and completing your construction project depends on how well you know, plan, and manage your project.

  • Determine whether your project requires a permit. If your project requires a permit hire a Registered Design Professional (RDP) − a Professional Engineer (PE) or Registered Architect (RA) – to ensure your project is Code compliant.

  • If a permit is required, obtain the necessary permits, and file the applications and construction drawings. Only an RDP can submit construction documents, including drawings and other submissions, to the Department for approval.

  • Hire a Registered Design Professional (RDP) to consult and finalize the scope of work.

  • Obtain Department plan approval. Remember, DOB project approval is required before any work can begin.

6 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


Get A Proposal
bottom of page