top of page
This image depicts a drone shot of New York City taken from the air.


Talk to a Licensed Professional Engineer today: 646.481.1861

  • Writer's pictureBuilt Engineers

Is a Certificate of Compliance or Equipment Use Permit Required? (Update)

Certificate of Compliance for Service Equipment: Update In accordance with §28-116.4.1 specified service equipment shall not be operated until the Department issues a Certificate of Compliance (formerly called the Equipment Use Permit). The Certificate of Compliance may only be issued after the submission of a satisfactory report of inspection and testing of such equipment.

Required inspections were performed by Department inspectors or registered design professionals for the following types of service equipment: 

  • Air conditioning systems* 

  • Ventilating systems 

  • Refrigeration system* 

  • Heating system (not including boilers).

* Including cooling towers

Beginning December 7, 2015: 

  • The Department will no longer accept inspection requests or perform inspections for the service equipment referenced above. Any inspections requests that were previously scheduled will be conducted. 

  • All referenced service equipment must be inspected and certified by a Special Inspection Agency (SIA) performing inspections in accordance with BC 1704.16 (Mechanical Systems) and BC 1704.1.2 (Responsibilities of the SIA). 

  • A TR1 Form identifying responsibility for the required special inspection and a PW4 Application for Certificate of Compliance for Equipment Form (signed and sealed) must be submitted at permitting. 

  • After inspection, the Special Inspector shall submit to the Certificate of Occupancy Unit a completed Certificate of Compliance card, and the applicable certified TR1 Form. If the equipment is properly certified, the Department will issue an approved (stamped) Certificate of Compliance card. The special inspection agency shall securely post the approved Certificate of Compliance card on or adjacent to the service equipment.

Other types of service equipment not referenced above (elevators, escalators, moving walkways and dumbwaiters; fuel burning and fuel-oil storage equipment; and boilers) will continue to be inspected in accordance with existing procedures.

For information about special inspections please see 1 RCNY 101-06.

44 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


Get A Proposal
bottom of page