top of page
This image depicts a drone shot of New York City taken from the air.


Talk to a Licensed Professional Engineer today: 646.481.1861

  • Writer's pictureBuilt Engineers

How to view your Certificate of Occupancy? - New York City - NYC

Updated: Jan 24, 2023

A Certificate of Occupancy (CO) states a legal use and/or type of permitted occupancy of a building. New buildings must have a CO, and existing buildings must have a current or amended CO when there is a change in use, egress or type of occupancy. No one may legally occupy a building until the Department has issued a CO or Temporary Certificate of Occupancy (TCO).

A CO confirms that the completed work complies with all applicable laws, all paperwork has been completed, all fees owed to the Department have been paid, all relevant violations have been resolved, and all necessary approvals have been received from other City Agencies. The Department issues a final CO when the completed work matches the submitted plans for new buildings or major alterations.

Searching for the CO of a Property

Certificate of Occupancy Request before March 1, 2021

Use the Building Information Search in the Buildings Information System (BIS) to search by property address. From the Property Profile Page select View Certificates of Occupancy. If a Certificate of Occupancy has been issued, it will be listed on this page and can be printed by selecting the hyperlinked pdf file.

Certificate of Occupancy Request on or after March 1, 2021

Use the Address search in DOB NOW to search by property address. From the top of the Property Profile Page select Certificate of Occupancy. If a Certificate of Occupancy has been issued, a new window will open with the Certificate of Occupancy Details and Floor Use Records. Use the Print button on this window to print a copy of the CO.

Proof of the Legal Use of a Building Without a CO

Buildings built before 1938 aren’t required to have a Certificate of Occupancy – unless later alterations changed its use, egress or occupancy. If you require proof of the legal use of a building – and it’s exempt from the CO requirement – contact the Department’s borough office where the property is located to request a Letter of No Objection.


18 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


Get A Proposal
bottom of page